Port Curtis was originally settled in 1847 as a penal colony by the New South Wales government, but this was abandoned in 1848. The area was resettled by free settlers in 1853, and in 1863 it became a municipality, and was renamed to Gladstone after William Ewart Gladstone, the British Colonial Secretary (and later British Prime Minister), who was dealing with the process of setting up the new colony in Northern Australia.
The township developed on the site of the original penal colony and for some time it was promoted as a future capital for a newly established colony of Queensland.
The 'Gladstone Colony: An Unwritten Chapter of Australian History' was written in 1898, and covers the town's history up until the time of publication. A wonderful record of the history of this Queensland city, you will find information on the on founding of the town, as well as its growth and development, together with details on the pioneers squatters, the gold rush as well as details of Gladstone as it was in 1898 and plenty more.
This ebook is a the same as the CD version from Archive Digital Books Australasia which is available from Gould Genealogy & other retailers. This CD contains high quality scanned images of the whole original volume, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
|Publisher||Archive Digital Books Australia|
1/1257 North East Road,
Ridgehaven SA 5097
Mail to: email@example.com
Phone: +61 8 82632055